Valuable Advice (I hope!):
1) Stay passionately ambitious. The world is sparkling with opportunity for an ambitious person to find fulfilling success.
2) Work smart. You will become a valuable asset for any team by being dedicated, working hard and being smart about focusing your work in the forces that drive results and saving the rest of the time to invest in yourself and developing your abilities.
3) Stop caring about what other people think. Spending time thinking about what other people think of you is irrational and unproductive. WHAT MATTERS IS WHO YOU ARE AND WHERE YOU’RE GOING. Remember that at all times.
1. Start Your Day With A Plan
A plan helps you stay focused and gives you an incredible power to stay in control.
2. Focus On Quality
Complete and deliver quality work. Stop obsessing with perfectionism.
3. Take Advantage Of Slow Periods
If your company has slow periods, for example, August and December use it to start a summer project, to learn new skills or to improve the primary tools you use.
4. Grow Your Skills
Push the boundaries at work: acquire new skills and abilities. Be flexible at work! That could lead to a promotion or to interesting work assignments.
5. Protect your Asset: Mind and Body
Use both exercise and meditation as a stress management technique. Keep regular appointments with your dentist and your doctor. Don’t wait for a crisis to happen.
Knowledge is a valuable resource that needs to be renewed over time. Invest time and money to buy new books, attend conferences, and keep track of new insights and lessons learned.
Confidence can be defined as a judgment about your competences for accomplishing a goal. When you have high confidence, you believe that you are very capable of successfully finishing the task at hand. But I believe it also works the other way around: If you can make strong progress towards your goals, if you work to have a very productive day, you’ll end up the day with the feeling of mission accomplished, with a clear vision of your target becoming closer. You’ll end up more confident and successful!
So here are a few tips on being more productive:
1. Put in minutes.
There are 1,440 minutes in every day. That means approximately 525,600 minutes each year. Intentionally invest every minute in something worthwhile. This can work well in a lot of different areas, for instance, I read Spanish news on my mobile phone every time I need to wait for the bus! It’s only a few minutes but I can work on one of my goals twice a day without compromising my work.
2. Live by the 80/20 rule.
Remember: eighty percent of the effects come from only 20 percent of the causes. Focus on the important 20 percent to have maximum impact and ignore the rest. Be disciplined about this and never again spend one priceless hour more at work than with the family – not if that won’t make any visible progress towards your next goal!
3. Intentionally say no to most things.
Most times, by saying yes, you're saying no to other things that are often more vital. Be kind but firm in saying no to things that are outside of your line of vision, objectives, and aspirations.
4. Don't create to-do lists.
Instead of listing everything you have to do, which can beat you and confuse others, schedule everything on a calendar. I started to make my weekly schedule for the week every Monday as soon as I sit on my computer and it makes a world of difference. Work on your weekly plan with a list of your targets and priorities right next to the Monday to Friday grid. I can assure you that this will be the most precious tool for a productive and fulfilling week!
My name is T. S. Coelho and I live in Lisbon, Portugal, with my husband and three kids. I work in the asset management industry, managing an equities fund.