• TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF •
Have a great time!
Be sweet on the inside
never let go
"Look well to this day. Yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day."
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. "
I recently realized that one of the soft skills I need to develop urgently is
I don't even know if that is in fact a soft skill... Well, in my opinion it is! It's something I envy about other people and think would make a big difference both professionally and personally.
Remembering names has nothing to do with capacity, capability or potential. It really depends on motivation - why it matters. Motivation is the force that drives memory.
Ok, besides motivation maybe it will be better if I add 3 small tricks:
1. I will try to stay focused when someone is introduced to me.
2. I will repeat the name again and again during the conversation.
3. And I will go back over names at the end of the day.
I hope I make real progress on this! Do you have any other tricks that you want to share? Please.... ahm... what did you say your name was again? Sorry, I forgot!
It worked with me! :)
I decided to run the mini marathon (sorry... it is only 8.5 km) in Lisbon. It may not sound as such a big thing but it is for me! I don't like running. That's a fact! I decided to go because I wanted to run over the Vasco da Gama Bridge.
As I said: I don't like running. Adding to that I only managed to practice 3 times and could only run 4.6 Km max.
How did I do that?
I tried some new tricks (I guess that's OK if I had nothing to loose ;) ):
- no music (I acually got that music didn't let me concentrate in my run! It's quite sad because I love listening to music);
- no apps telling me how much I had already run and what I still needed to run to finish;
- I only looked twice at my watch;
- I KEPT GOING AND THINKING I WILL NOT STOP;
- I asked my brother (a very fast marathon runner) for advice and he told me to run with my heart. That actually helped me to breathe better, have better posture and be more confortable running with my chest out. Almost like a yoga class Ha ha;
- I tried to think about people who love running ('fake it till you make it!') and about people who would love to run but are sick and cannot anymore... I guess this is also part of Running with my heart!
The end result? 56:35
Do you want to run in Lisbon??? GO FOR IT!
My name is T. S. Coelho and I live in Lisbon, Portugal, with my husband and three kids. I work in the asset management industry, managing an equities fund.